- 1/2 cup (112g) Vegan Butter
- 6 Tbsp All-Purpose Flour
- 400ml Barista Mighty M.lk
- 240ml Vegetable Stock
- 3 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 cup /m60g Nutritional Yeast
- 3 tsp Onion Powder
- 3 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 1/2 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 500g macaroni
For the breadcrumbs:
- 3 Thick Slices White Bread (Toasted)
- 2 Tbsp Vegan Butter (Melted)
- Add the vegan butter to a pot and let it melt. When it’s melted add in the all-purpose flour and stir it vigorously with the melted butter.
- Pour in the cans of coconut milk and the vegetable stock. Use a hand whisk to whisk out the lumps. Keep whisking until it starts to boil and then keep whisking for a few minutes after it has boiled until it thickens. It will continue to thicken as it cools, so it doesn’t have to be all the way there when you remove it from the heat, as long as it has thickened considerably from when you started.
- Remove it from the heat and add in the Dijon mustard, nutritional yeast, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt and pepper and whisk in. Now your sauce is ready, you can prepare your macaroni.
- Cook your macaroni according to the package directions and then rinse and drain.
- Add the cooked macaroni into the pot of sauce and toss it up with the sauce.
- Then move the macaroni and sauce to a baking dish and smooth down.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Prep the crumb topping by breaking up the 3 thick slices of toasted white bread and placing into the blender. Pulse blend until you have crumbs. Then move to a mixing bowl, add in the melted vegan butter and toss up the crumbs with the melted butter.
- Place the breadcrumbs evenly over the top of the macaroni cheese and bake for 20 mins until the top is brown and crispy.